vSphere 4.x to 5.0 Upgrade
2 Day Class
vSphere 4.x to 5.0 Upgrade Course Information
In this 2 day upgrade course we cover everything the student needs to know to upgrade from VMware vSphere 4.x to VMware's new vSphere 5.0 product. Students will perform the actual upgrade using hands-on-labs in our state of the art data center, then once that objective is achieved they will be exposed to all the new features of the product, to include third party solutions and lessons learn in the field. The key difference between this class and VMware's What's New class is that in this class the student will actually perform a real upgrade to start off the class. The servers are preloaded with VMware ESXi 4.1 Update 1 and vCenter 4.1 Update 1. The students will look at the different options to perform the upgrade to vSphere 5.0 and then actually upgrade both vCenter and ESXi. After this, they will then cover all of the new features included with vSphere 5.
This class is 50% labs 50% lecture. No stone will be left unturned and students already familiar with VMware's vSphere 4.x products will gain valuable insight into the new 5.0 product and how to maintain a virtual infrastructure, including:
- Creating Custom builds of ESXi including adding custom drivers
- Upgrading to ESXi 5 using the vihostupdate.pl and VMware Update Manager
- Using Network I/O controls on vNetwork Distributed switches to throttle virtual to physical network traffic
- Using the new features of VMware Storage VMotion with snapshots
- The benefits and usage of Profile Driven Storage using vPods
- Designing and using Storage DRS infrastructure using storage clusters
- GUI based multipathing in VMware's Pluggable Storage Architecture (PSA)
- Virtual Machine sustained availability using VMware Fault Tolerance
- Manage multiple vCenter Servers using vCenter Server Linked Mode
- New and improved features and benefits of ESXi host configuration using Host Profiles
- Reduce time and effort of host provisioning using VMware Auto Deploy
- Learn about the benefits included with the new VAAI primitives in vSphere 5.0
- Use the new vCenter Web Interface
- And many, many other new features and enhancements
Students MUST know the vSphere 4.x product line or they will need to have taken one of the other full vSphere 4.x classes instead.
Students should have 1-3 year experience as a VMware administrator using VMware vSphere 4.x, be familiar with virtual technologies and have sat a VMware Authorized training program, Ultimate Bootcamp or equivalent within the last year.